Sunday, July 13, 2014

Never buy Teriyaki sauce in a bottle again!




This sauce is the Cadillac of all sauces!! If you like teriyaki that is.
I discovered this sauce about 15 years ago when I was trying to experiment with more recipes and food ideas to please the hubby and the picky kids.
The first time I made it I seriously considered bottling it and trying to market it ...it's THAT good!  I called the neighbor over made her taste it to make sure my taste buds were working properly.
She demanded the recipe LOL and stayed for dinner that night. Good thing I always cook for an army!

On a serious note...
You will not be disappointed if you decide to try this sauce. It's so versatile and can be used on any type of meat , poultry or even shrimp.
Once you do decide to make this, you will never buy that watered down, overly salty teriyaki sauce in a bottle again.

Give it a try!

The worlds BEST (ok, I will settle for my family's favorite) Teriyaki sauce!!



Ingredients: (I strongly suggest doubling this recipe!! You will thank me!)
1 TBS corn starch
1 TBS water
1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. soy sauce
1/4 C. apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/8 tsp. black pepper

combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Using a wisk, give it a stir. Be sure to scrape the bottom so all of the corn starch and sugar aren't sticking. mix it well with your wisk.
Bring to a low boil. Continue to boil until the sauce thickens. This happens kind of fast once it reaches a boil. So stir it constantly.

Remove from heat and let it cool.

If you wish to use this as a marinade, add the juice of a half a lemon. (acid helps break down the fats in your meat)

My favorite uses:
Teriyaki Beef: Cut thin strips of london broil or your favorite cut of beef. marinade for 1 hour to over night covered in teriyaki sauce. Soak wooden skewers for 20 - 30 minutes in water (so they don't burn) And skewer the meat strips onto the skewers. Grill or bake your beef skewers to desired doneness. They don't take long to cook if your meat is cut thin.
Perfect! Just like the Chinese restaurant!

Teriyaki Chicken: Spray baking pan with non stick cooking spray. place bonesless skinless thighs (or your favorite type of chicken) in the pan in a single layer. brush on one coat of your sauce. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Add another layer of sauce. I do this 3 to 4 times, depending on how thick the meat is (every 10 minutes)
Delicious! Serve with rice or noodles for a sweet & tangy dinner!


Teriyaki Shrimp: Saute your shrimp in butter until pink. add in your teriyaki sauce and serve over rice. Try adding in some steamed veggies for  a complete meal. Wonderful every time!!


We tried something new with this sauce for the first time tonight! ..... BEEF JERKY!!  In the NuWave oven. We marinated the thin strips of beef in the teriyaki sauce for about an hour. Then we cooked the beef strips in our Nuwave oven on power level 3 for 2 1/2 hours. Flipping them over half way through. They were amazing! My 15 year old left us a note while hubby and I were at the store. 1 piece for mom, 1 piece for dad, 1 piece for the 13 year old. and the rest of the container for him. Haha ..I don't think he really liked it .. do you?


I'm sure there are many uses for this sauce that I have not yet tried. Please let me know if you try something different, and how it comes out!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I have been looking for a teriyaki sauce recipe. :) Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try you will like it! Have a great day :)

      Delete
  2. My family will love this! Pinned. Hugs! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope they do! It's definitely a staple in our house! ... Kimberly I went to comment on your comment (the fondant post) and instead of hitting reply i hit remove! Yikes! Im so sorry it was not intentional. Im off to work but will try to head over to lou lou gils before i go!! Have a great night :) Sorry again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found you over on the facebook group! I pinned this also- thanks so much for sharing!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this recipe! Rory loves teriyaki sauce. We will definitely be giving this recipe a try. PINNING! :)

    ~Lorelai
    Life With Lorelai

    ReplyDelete