Tuesday, June 17, 2014

McDonald's Shamrock Shake - copycat recipe

*I'm working on getting a better camera for my shots! This photo does not do any justice to the sweet mint green treat!*

St. Patrick's day has come and gone this year. Which also means so has the frosty deliciousness of the Shamrock Shake! We are big fans of the creamy chilled concoction in my house, so we like to make them all year long.
I stumbled across this recipe years ago online, but I had to tweak it just a little to satisfy our tastes and bring it just a little closer to tasting like the real thing.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups good vanilla ice cream
  • 1 1/4 cups milk (We use 2%)
  • 1/4 teaspoon mint extract
  • 8 drops green food coloring (optional)
  • Whipped Cream (optional) 
Blend ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into cups and top with whipped cream.
Makes 2 - 4 servings

This past St. Patricks day the hubby and I decided to stop and get a real one from Mcd's while we were out and about. I was not impressed. I think they changed their recipe somehow. The mint flavor was so strong it was over powering. And there was green streaks all through out. Maybe we got a bad batch, I am not sure. But, I will stick to making them at home the way we all love. At least this way I know exactly what's going in it, and can make it as strong or as weak as we like.


An Adult Twist: Omit the mint extract from the recipe, and replace it with 1 - 2 shots of peppermint schnapps! Yummmmy! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment